By designation of the Secretary of Defense and an act of Congress, Picatinny Arsenal is the Department of Defense’s Joint Center of Excellence for Armaments and Munitions, providing products and services to all branches of the U.S. military.
The people of Picatinny specialize in the research, development, acquisition and lifecycle management of advanced conventional weapon systems and advanced ammunition. Indeed, nearly 90 percent of the Army’s lethality and all conventional ammunition for all the joint warfighters flow through Picatinny, such as:
- IED Defeat technologies
- Small, medium and large caliber conventional ammunition
- Precision-guided munitions
- Fire control systems
- Small-arms weapon systems
- Gunner protection armor
Picatinny leverages its R&D capabilities to deliver technology solutions to the warfighter efficiently, economically and timely.
I believe Congress must continue to provide the needed resources for the safety and security of the American people and our young servicemen and women fighting extremism. In addition to supporting Picatinny, I am constantly working to defend America’s freedom by providing:
- More advanced tools and weaponry to our young soldiers
- Better payand housing benefits for our regular military, National Guard and Reserves
- Critically important support for all of New Jersey’s military installations.
Recognizing the Important Role of Picatinny Arsenal
- Picatinny is the U.S. Army’s top-ranked large research and development laboratory, and Frelinghuysen continues to be the Arsenal’s greatest champion.
- Through our efforts, Picatinny recently opened an Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center and a Nanotechnology Center. The Arsenal is also in the process of building a new high energy propellant facility and a pyrotechnics laboratory to support our young warfighters.
- I was proud to lead the effort to increase Picatinny’s role in New Jersey’s homeland security operations by designating it as New Jersey Center of Excellence for Homeland Security Technologies, Regional Readiness and Training.
- With Picatinny supporting over 10,500 jobs in northern New Jersey, Frelinghuysen works closely with municipal, county, and state officials who support and service the Arsenal.
- I support efforts to strengthen environmental management at the Arsenal by protecting and enhancing ecologically sensitive areas.
Picatinny Arsenal, the “Home of American Firepower,” is a 6,500-acre military installation located in Morris County. The Arsenal contributes over $1.3 billion to New Jersey’s economy and supports more than 10,500 New Jersey jobs, including thousands in our local municipalities that service or directly benefit from Picatinny. With 95 percent of all ‘go-to-war’ munitions already coming through Picatinny and with 23 state-of-the-art laboratories currently at the Arsenal, the base will continue to be one of our state’s major contributors to the defense of our nation. For more information about Picatinny Arsenal, please visit http://www.pica.army.mil.